Operating a fire extinguisher is extremely easy, just remember the word “PASS”, which stands for Pull, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep.
Pull the pin located on the fire extinguisher’s squeeze valve, this will unlock the fire extinguisher.
Aim at the base of the fire so the actual fire source is targeted. Do not aim the flames and do not extinguish against the wind. Instead, go with the wind direction.
Squeeze the lever on the fire extinguisher’s squeeze valve to release the fire extinguishing agent. To stop the discharge, release the handle. You can squeeze the value one ore more times in order to extinguish the fire. It is not necessary to extinguish in one squeeze.
Sweep from side to side using a sweeping motion. Move the extinguisher back and forth until the fire is completely extinguished.
- Do not panic.
- Operate the fire extinguisher from a safe distance, several feet away and then start moving closer to the fire as it starts fading out.
- You can squeeze the value one ore more times in order to extinguish the fire. It is not necessary to extinguish in one squeeze.
- Read the user instruction manual because different extinguishers have different operating distances. Read the user instruction manual at the time of installation because in case of fire, you would not be having time to read.
- Aim at the base of fire, not at the flames.
- In windy environment, do not stand against the wind. Make sure when you are extinguishing the fire, wind is blowing from your back and not the front. This can easily be judged by looking the the flame.
- Get the fire extinguisher refilled, even if partially used.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):